Information for Travelers

We always have an inventory of currency from a large number of countries in good condition and in varying denominations. Contact us to know what currency you will need for your travels or refer to the list here. If we do not have it in stock, we can get it in for you from our international suppliers within a minimal delay.
It is difficult to evaluate the amount of foreign currency that you will need to bring with you on a trip, since you don’t want to be stuck with too little cash or have too much left over upon your return. Thanks to our Buy-Back Guarantee, you can err on the side of caution, and if you find yourself with unused currency, we will buy back up to 50% of your original purchase (maximum $1000 CAD) within 30 days at the same rate at which you purchased it. All we need is your receipt of purchase and proof that you traveled (i.e. airplane ticket, receipt from purchase abroad, stamped passport). Even if you did not purchase your currency from Globex, we will happily buy your unused currency at that day’s rate.

How much money (cash) should I bring with me?

Travel experts agree that you should travel with some of the local currency of the country you will be visiting. There are many expenses which can only be paid for in cash (example: taxi, public transport, tours, tips, etc.), not to mention that many businesses do not accept credit or debit cards. If you do withdraw cash using your debit card abroad, you will pay the fees and a higher rate of exchange charged by your bank, as well as ATM fees. Based on a survey conducted of our clients who returned from travelling abroad, we recommend bringing at least 35% of your travel budget in local currency.

What to do in an emergency situation around the world?

For assistance in any emergency situation encountered while abroad, Canadians are advised to call Canadian Consular Services collect at (613) 996-8885. It is also advised to research and keep on hand the location and contact information of the Canadian Consulate nearest your destination.
In some countries, you can call the Canadian Emergency Operations Centre toll-free. You can also communicate with a TTY by dialing 1-800-394-3472 or (613) 944-1310. Alternatively, you can contact the Emergency Operations Centre in Canada at or by fax at (613) 943-1054. For more information, visit the official website of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade at